Monday 30 April 2007

Reply to Julie M. Mills 'Swearing'


Julie M. Mills 'Swearing'
I do agree with you Abigail about profanity however, just sometimes, I think when used on an occassion it shows how angry someone is. For an individual who normally does not swear, without someone throwing a tantrum, one isolated 'bad' word displays actually how strongly someone feels about a topic or situation. When every other word is an expletive, the English language loses it's power. It's all about self control isn't it and the thought or action of 'Being Bad' or not?

My Reply:
I think swearing can be quite useful, even comical in the right context. It really depends on when and how it is used, too much and the sentence loses its meaning, too little and you may not make yourself clear. I swear when its appropriate, usually for the use of humour. Take the comedian Billy Connolly, I think he’s hilarious and the incessant swearing just adds to this, however when you hear someone throwing a tantrum, swearing as much as Billy, its just plain annoying. Just depends on timing and suitability.

No comments: